Remember “waste not, want not”? We always think of that old adage when we are cooking. Thankfully we live in a time and place where food is abundant, and throwing out unused egg white or the seeds of a pumpkin or squash probably will not tip the balance of life or death. That being said, it is mindful to keep such things and use them, especially if you are already cooking for pleasure…which of course, we hope you are.
Thus was our love for beet greens born. We were waiting on some lovely Moroccan roasted beets and quickly sautéed the greens for a snack.
QUICK BEET GREENS
bunch beet greens; stems discarded
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch red pepper flakes
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, keep heat at medium to medium-low.
- Add beet greens, turning with tongs, cook 30 seconds.
- Add minced garlic and red pepper flakes. Keep turning while sautéing slowly over medium-low heat. Do not burn the garlic.
- Once garlic fully releases its aroma, the greens should also be tender. remove from pan and transfer to serving dish.
- Squeeze lemon atop and serve.