- 3 red bell peppers
- 2/3 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 4 garlic cloves
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- pinch red pepper flakes
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup high quality extra-virgin olive oil, plus a bit extra for roasting the peppers
- mint leaves (optional)
1. Slice peppers into quarters, discard seeds and stems. Brush lightly with olive oil and arrange on a pan covered with tinfoil. Place under broiler on a low setting to roast; about 15-20 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
2. Meanwhile, mince garlic and crush into a paste with mortar and pestle. Add salt and blend.
3. Transfer cooled peppers to a food processor. Add the garlic mix, breads crumbs, walnuts, lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, cumin, and red pepper. Pulse or blend for a minute until mixed. Continue to blend while slowly adding the olive oil to the mixture, until creamy and smooth.
4. Garnish with mint leaves. Serve with lavash or pita.